Returning to XP

  Blacki 05:57 14 Aug 2007


I have a Dell 9200 which has Vista installed. It came with a recovery disk. My question is this. I have a lot of software and some hard ware that won't work with Vista. Not for the for seeable future anyway. I have an xp disk and would like to install it. Can i wipe Vista for the time being, and when there is drivers and patchs for the above items, will i be able to use the recovery disk to reinstall Vista.
Any help or other solutions would really be helpful

  birdface 07:34 14 Aug 2007

I believe you can run both Vista and XP on the one machine,I think you need an external hard drive that plugs into a Usb slot or something like that,Sorry to be a bit vague but it is only something that I read on an other thread a while back,I am sure someone will confirm or deny this for me.

  Technotiger 08:12 14 Aug 2007
  Strawballs 22:18 14 Aug 2007

Only if it is a full copy of vista if it is just to access a hidden partion then when you format to install XP you will loose the partion, the dual boot option seems to be the best route.

  woodchip 22:20 14 Aug 2007

Why not Get a New Hard Drive and swap it for the Vista one. Then load XP to the new drive you can then fit the old drive at a later date if you want to have another go at it

  Kate B 22:23 14 Aug 2007

Remember that you won't be able to activate your copy of XP if it's been activated on another PC if it's an OEM copy, nor if it's activated on a PC that's in use.

  WhiteTruckMan 22:33 14 Aug 2007

looks the best bet, but once you have xp installed, refit the vista drive, and you can boot from either just by taking a quick dip into bios and changing the boot sequence.


  Blacki 01:46 15 Aug 2007

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?