Return to Sender.

ol blueeyes 13:39 28 Sep 2009

Incredimail ... Don't particularly like the Programme but have started using it for a short while. It has one item that I rather like. We all get a lot of rubbish Mail and with incredimail you can ""Return it to Sender"" Does anyone know of other E:Mail Programmes that have this Service ?

jimv7 13:46 28 Sep 2009

Return to sender confirms your email address, be prepared for a lot more.

Best just to delete the spam.

wiz-king 13:50 28 Sep 2009

Why clutter up the internet with yet more spam, just delete it. You dont really think that it come to you from a person/companies real address do you?

Fingees 13:50 28 Sep 2009

Most enable you to BOUNCE messageas.

However a lot of spam gwets sent to you deliberately with the wrong address. This is so if you do bounce it it goes to someone else.

Others send you messages to check if the adress is a usable one, so bouncing it confirms you address and encourages them to distribute your details to others.

Far better to just delete, it also stops the internet being bunged up with stray mail etc.

Sea Urchin 14:04 28 Sep 2009

.....often asked on this forum. If you send a perfectly genuine email to an incorrect address it will be returned to you as undeliverable by the mail system - in other words it will be bounced. So in this case it doesn't "confirm the email address" but confirms it doesn't exist.

So why not do that with spam? The answer lies in the above postings from wiz-king and Fingees. The 'from' address will be false, and therefore you are just creating more spam - in extreme circumstances you might even end up bouncing it back to yourself!

This article explains in more detail:

click here

ol blueeyes 14:16 28 Sep 2009

SORRY I ASKED.

ol blueeyes 14:17 28 Sep 2009

Sorry I asked but it is returned """Undeliverable Address Unknown.
So No Problem

ol blueeyes 14:17 28 Sep 2009

Matter CLOSED

Sea Urchin 14:20 28 Sep 2009

But the point is that spam doesn't necessarily get "returned to sender" because it was NOT actually sent from the address on the email.

ol blueeyes 15:43 28 Sep 2009

As I say Matter closed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?