Return Receipt

cruiser2 18:23 07 Dec 2008

When using my Hotmail email address to send messages, how do I get the recipient to automaticaly acknowledge that they have received the message.
I can do this with my other email address with Talktalk.
Many thanks for any advice given

Sea Urchin 18:25 07 Dec 2008

How are you sending your TalkTalk messages - web-mail or through an eMail client such as Outlook?

MAT ALAN 18:28 07 Dec 2008

The function is not supported in Hotmail...

the link may help...

click here

Switcher 21:25 07 Dec 2008

With regard to MAT ALAN'S post it may be worth having a look at this click here Seems it breach EU data protection act

Switcher 21:26 07 Dec 2008

Should read "It might breach"

cruiser2 13:10 08 Dec 2008

Sea Urchin
I am using Windows Hotmail.
I an using Mozilla Thunderbird to send the messages with my talktalk email address. I tick the Return Receipt in Tools for this.

Switcher 14:51 08 Dec 2008

Normally you will only only get return receipts if the person receiving the email is willing to tick the box to acknowledge receipt of your message.

Any program such as "didtheyreadit" which forces a return receipt without the knowledge of the recipient is effectively a form of spyware which intercepts each of your emails and installs an executable program them. That program then executes when the recipient reads it and sends back information to "didtheyreadit" which is then forwarded to you.

That is the very reason why it is dangerous to click on suspect emails especially suspected phising ones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017