Retriveing files

scolley 01:30 31 Jan 2008

Hi All
is it possible to retrieve files and photos from my hard drive even though i have now installed a new xp on my pc, i lost my files when i had a virus, some time back now early to mid 07,

i was wondering if any way i could get back some family pictures i had but never backed them up,
regards
Scolley

m800afc 02:47 31 Jan 2008

After a hard drive problem I was able to recover my files using O&O Disk recovery 4. It is not free, but it was able to do the job for me. There is a free trial available from:
click here

Sheik Yerbouti 07:20 31 Jan 2008

Depends how much money you are prepared to shell out for software, I used this for a friends USB Stick, after the partition had been deleted, and it got everything back intact.

click here

NTFS Version $79 though, about 40 quid.

Most trial versions only identify the files but won't actually restore them until you buy the prog.

scolley 03:32 01 Feb 2008

m800afc could you please let me know where to buy this from,

Sheik yerbouti small price to pay for the photos i lost, can you advise more please or any one got a sure fire software to buy, thanks for all the help,

Sheik Yerbouti 06:44 01 Feb 2008

scolly, the problem you have is the length of time since you reinstalled XP. The lost files will have been in danger of being overwritten, every time you start up and use your PC. The best bet I think, would be to download a trial of one of the above pieces of software, and see if you can find any of your old files. Even better would be to remove your hard drive and install it as a slave drive in another (friends or relatives) PC. Install the software on their C: drive and search your disk from there. This isn't going to be an easy ride and it is certain you won't get everything back, but with a little luck, some of your files will remain intact. Best of luck with it.

scolley 12:16 01 Feb 2008

please advise if you can,

scolley 13:54 02 Feb 2008

sounds like it's been to long to get the photo's back of my famly now then or my family tree ifiles i had on there,? i dont want to go to all the trouble of taking out my hard drive, as i do not have the knowledge to perforn that, so thats a no no, any other ways anybody please its been about 4 months now since i installed new XP Pro,

scolley 21:01 07 Feb 2008

Hi All am still trying to find out if its possible to get back my photo's and files of my family tree before i installed XP Pro, about 6months now, fingers crossed
Scolley

ashdav 21:42 07 Feb 2008

You could try this click here
It's free but after 6 months the chances of a positive result are,frankly,slim.

scolley 02:59 08 Feb 2008

Hi ashdav
is this a tried and tested download as im a bit timid since i lost all my files, and had to reinstall Xp pro brfore i had XP home edition, so will this make any difference trying to get back my files, / any suggestions on this, before i take the plunge many thank,s
scolley

MCE2K5 03:15 08 Feb 2008

Try these, Free,

PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x, click here

Drive Rescue v1.9d, click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?