Retrieving files and settings from another drive.

fourks 17:03 17 Sep 2007

Hi

I have a problem with a blue screen 'Bad_Pool_Caller' after spending all day trying to fix it, the general advice is that I need to reformat the drive.

My hard drive has 3 partitions C: D: & E:, so I have re installed XP on drive E: just so I can get my pc working.

Is it possible to retrieve all my settings (eg, internet, mail, appearance, folders, etc) from drive C:?

I can then format C: reinstall everything, then re migrate all the settings back to drive C: then remove xp from E:

I hope this makes sense and any advise greatly appreciated.

The Kestrel 17:50 17 Sep 2007

Can you not use the files and settings transfer wizard to copy from your C drive on to a pendrive, or other external storage device?

fourks 19:46 17 Sep 2007

Hi

No I can't use the files and transfer settings wizard because I can,t use xp that is on C drive, I just get the blue screen.

Thanks

The Kestrel 21:05 17 Sep 2007

Hi,

I don't know if this link will help click here but it might be worth reading through.

Terry Brown 21:43 17 Sep 2007

If you have recently bought a DVD drive, the chances are that you will have a copy of Nero 6 or 7 (or you may already have a copy).when instaled open 'Backitup' and select drive. select the drive with XP on it (E)and save to DVD's. This creates a recovery disk.
Using the same program copy the files you want to save on 'C' drive to a folder on spare space on 'D' drive (or more DVD's). Use the boot option to start from DVD load the first set of disks, selecting 'C' drive as the primary drive. All programs on 'C' will be removed before the recovery program starts, and you will have a emergency restore set of disks for the future.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017