Retrieving data off dead laptops hard drive?

Bill10 12:00 09 Dec 2009

Hi
A friends laptop has just died. However I need to copy some data off the hard drive quite urgently for them.

What's the best way to go about this?

I am not sure if the laptops hard drive is IDE or SATA. If it was SATA then that would make things easier as I could nip down Maplin and purchase a USB SATA docking station. Will not know until I take delivery of laptop (5 years old).
I have also seen on Amazon, a USB to IDE SATA cable adaptor thing that should enable me to plug the laptops hard drive into my desktop and retrieve the data.

Is there an easier way?

ambra4 12:04 09 Dec 2009

“If it was SATA then that would make things easier as I could nip down Maplin and purchase a USB SATA docking station”

“Will not know until I take delivery of laptop (5 years old)”

The drive will be an IDE drive if 5years old you can get a USB to IDE external case

Picklefactory 12:46 09 Dec 2009

I don't know an easier way, but I do have an adapter set that sounds like what you've seen on Amazon etc. I bought that for exactly the same reason you need one and it worked fine for me. I just removed the HDD from the laptop, hitched it up to the adapter set, plugged it into USB on my desktop and hey presto it just shows upas an external drive. Very easy indeed.

Bill10 16:36 09 Dec 2009

"...you can get a USB to IDE external case"

Forgot about that option. Too early in the morning for me.
Thanks.

472 17:18 09 Dec 2009

Go Here and get one of these.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?