Retailers who accept returns? (if not suitable)

serendipity7000 12:40 25 Jul 2008

Thanks very much for all the advice on extending wi fi signal in my particular situation. I think the Netgear Rangemax (or similar) is probably the solution, but as pointed out to me, I won't know if it works on our system until I try it. Can anyone therefore recommend a retailer who will let you take something back (and give a full refund) if it doesn't work on your system? I know nothing about PC retailers and live in a fairly cut off rural area, so tend to order things over the internet usually - but cd manage a 60 mile trip to large town if someone knows a good (Flexible) retailer. Cheers!

Technotiger 12:50 25 Jul 2008

Only ever needed to return one item (a webcam), bought on-line from Amazon, their returns system is superb, I received the replacement item in less than 24hrs!

sinbads 12:51 25 Jul 2008

I wouldn't think there is a retailer that would accept goods which have been opened,unless it proves to be faulty, then you can get a refund.

Best to be sure that the item will do what you want it to do either talk to the retailer or the manufacturer if the item you are purchasing will do the job for you

€dstowe 13:08 25 Jul 2008

Is there something special about your system? If there is, go to a dealer who has specific expertise in what you want to buy and take their advice. If it doesn't work then, you are more likely to get a refund than if you just bought it in hope it might work.

Technotiger 14:08 25 Jul 2008

PS - further to the above - there was nothing wrong with the webcam (Quickcam), it just was not compatible with a Mac/Skype! I got a different Quickcam which is compatible, by return. In fact, Amazon had not even received my returned item before they sent the replacement - hence 'less than 24hrs' .......

Ditch999 20:36 25 Jul 2008

Borrow one from a friend.
If you lived near me I would gladly come round with my Linksys WAG325N to see what your coverage was like!

serendipity7000 16:30 26 Jul 2008

So where do you live then? I can't even get the technical information about the existing router and computers its talking to from my housemate as he's Polish and communication difficult! (You think computers are a problem!!) Amazon might be a good try - easier for me to order online too.

User-1229748 17:56 26 Jul 2008

you could be right :-)click here

spuds 18:25 26 Jul 2008

I was once advised by an assistant of a well known high street computer outlet,never to buy any unsealed products on display. He particularly mentioned routers, and people not having a clue on how to set them up!.

But going back to the subject. Contact a good retailer/supplier, tell them what you want to do exactly, ask them to recommend with a guarantee of returns if its not compatible. Viking Direct and Staples have a try and return policy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?