Retail outlets in the USA

topdraw 17:11 23 Apr 2003

Please does anyone know if there are any national computer/hardware retail outlets in the USA that are as cheap or nearly as cheap as online stores.

I have a friend that fly's out regularly but is never there long enough to wait for goods that may not be delivered on time.

Many thanks,
Topdraw

Big Elf 18:53 23 Apr 2003

Equipment bought in the USA may be liable to VAT (and sometimes import duty) on arrival in the UK. What seemed to be a good price, and ignoring power supply issues, may not be such a good deal when these extra costs are taken into account.

I found this out to my cost.

-pops- 19:05 23 Apr 2003

Almost every shopping mall has a RadioShack store and there are a number of others. There are claimed to be 7,200 RS stores in the USA.

In addition, small independents are everywhere but be warned, those are often staffed by the most sullen, rude and unco-operative people you could ever wish not to meet. The sort of people that, unless you can draw a complete circuit diagram of the latest AMD chip from memory within 5 seconds, they are not interested in selling to you.

RadioShack is OK though. It should be called ComputerShack now, I suppose.

Have a look at what they stock click here

Brian

spuds 19:53 23 Apr 2003

A further word of warning. Warranty claims for faulty goods purchased via the USA, could prove to be a very expensive headache, should things go wrong.Another thing to consider regarding 'electrical, computer and electronic components'. The USA have some very strict regulations on the exporting of some of these items, but the retailer should have the necessary details available.Make any purchases with caution.

Qmar 21:38 23 Apr 2003

..also consider duty free airport purchase (e.g Dixons etc )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017