Restrict Users Win98

cycoze 14:25 22 Jul 2008

I want to be able to restrict users on a couple of Win98 machines to only be able to use a web browser (IE or FF) and nothing else, i have been searching to try and find a way but unfortunately with no luck yet.

The users will only have access to a monitor and a mouse, the idea is they can view a gallery (off-line), unfortunately when I did this once before a small amount of people interfered with bits and pieces on the machine, IE: deleting images, trying to email them which was not happening as the machines are not on-line.

I had used FF with most of the buttons removed, also had the task bar hidden but that is just to easy to bring back up.

So any suggestions/advice will be most appreciated.

cycoze 14:32 22 Jul 2008

Should have mentioned if it involves software then free would be good, or an inexpensive solution.

woodchip 15:34 22 Jul 2008

Cy I think you are up a gum tree as 98se is not good on Security.

Have a look hear click here

it may help

And this click here

cycoze 20:22 22 Jul 2008

Thanks Woody, the Access Administrator profram looks like it could fit the bill, will download it and have a look at it.

Still open to other suggestions though.

skidzy 20:41 22 Jul 2008

Hi Cy
Again,i think your going to struggle to do exactly what you wish to do.Though you maybe able to edit the registry to limit what is viewable and changable.

Though im not positive this will help much, click here

My knowledge of 98 is limited and Woody is strong on this os.

Just a thought,have you thought about loading a Linux distro to do what you want...not that im an expert on Linux,but would certainly be harder for some to wreck.

Belatucadrus 21:59 22 Jul 2008
  woodchip 22:04 22 Jul 2008

The Problem with 98se is that you can do it, but any body thats computer literate can easy find a way round it

woodchip 22:05 22 Jul 2008

There are two ways round the above DOS and Safe Mode

cycoze 11:16 24 Jul 2008

Thanks all, I have downloaded Access Administrator and System Security 2006 as suggested by Woody and Belatucadrus, will give then a try out when i get to the computers.

MAT ALAN 11:25 24 Jul 2008

click here

this may help...

cycoze 17:09 31 Jul 2008

Thanks very much ! I tried out the suggestions and finally went with System Security 2006 as suggested by Belatucadrus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?