restrict internet access through netgear router

User-84C69DB0-EED7-447D-8A80E5256D755B90 18:52 31 Oct 2006

I have a lan connected via a Netgear DG384 router. I would like access to the internet to be restricted/password protected (basically to prevent my kids from accessing the internet whenever they want). I can't see any obvious way of doing something like this in the router settings - anyone any ideas?

FreeCell 19:37 31 Oct 2006

If your router is a DG834 (not 384) then there is a function within the Firewall called Outbound Rules Service blocking that may be the thing you are looking for.

that's a big step in the right direction. thanks Freecell. ...and yes, it is an 834! I can restrict access and I'll see what I can do with the various services - I have a user I would like to use the internet without restriction and so, a password access would be more convenient...

phono 22:56 31 Oct 2006

If you update your DG834 with the latest firmware you will find that there is a Parental control link under Content Filtering, this is provided by Trend PC-Cillin and I believe will have to be Licensed in order to work but appears to be free for one year.

sounds good - I'll give that a go - thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?