restrict file sharing

corkscrew22 09:28 15 Mar 2006

I have a small home network set up with XP pro. My network is a workgroup not a domain. The network consists of an ADSL D-link 504 router, 2 desktops and a wireless access point. 1 notebook and a psp game pad connect to the network via the access point.
I have set all the security settings in the router and access point. I have also turned off DHCP and assigned static IP address’s to each machine. Also I have set the access point to only allow access from the MAC address’s of the notebook and the psp.
I have antivirus software, zone alarm, and anti spyware software installed on every machine. However one of the desktops uses the free grisoft and the free spybot this is my sons’ pc. The notebook and the other pc have commercial av and counterspy installed.
My concern is over file sharing, the notebook I take away to work and synchronize a lot of files within it with one of the desktops, and so have file sharing set on some folders. These folders are therefore accessible from my son’s machine, how can I stop this, I only want the default shared folder being accessible from his machine since I feel that may be a weak link in my security?

Devil Fish 12:27 15 Mar 2006

I Think your best route is to map the drive

ok to start with go to the folder(s) you want to share

right click folder sharing and security

give the folder a share name such as myfolder-1$

note the -1$ this should make the folder invisible in network places

once done go to the machine you wish to use for access right click my computer then click map drive

you will be presented with 2 boxes in the top box you can select a drive letter using the drop down box (since this is going to show as a hard drive on the notebook

in the 2nd box (folder)

type \\Workgroup\compname\myfolder-1$

substitute workgroup for your work group name

substitue compname for the name of computer you are conecting to

substitute myfolder-1$ for your share name

repeat for each folder you wish to share

after completing this it should show as a drive on your notebook but not available in network places

corkscrew22 21:40 16 Mar 2006

sounds a good idea so far no luck in seeting it up when I try to map to a drive I get a message the network path \\xxxx\xxx could not be found. I'm trying to figure this out since the path is correct.

corkscrew22 22:26 16 Mar 2006

Cracked it by leaving out the -1 and just putting the $ on the end works

thanks very much devilfish

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?