Restoring system with Acronis True Image 8.0

Pineman100 16:33 21 Jan 2009

I'm about to do my first full restore of a C: drive - Windows XP, data, the lot - from an Acronis image.

I've been reading up on the process in the Acronis manual, and one thing has me slightly worried.

It states in the manual that you can assign a drive letter to your restored partition (logical disk) provided that drive letter has not already been used.

As you'll see in the brackets above, a logical disk is mentioned. Can I be confident that, if I'm restoring a primary partition, it will automatically be allocated the drive letter C: by Acronis?

Obviously C: has already been used, but I must end up with this partition allocated the letter C:!

Acronis experts, thanks for any advice on this, or any other ATI restore wrinkles.

crosstrainer 16:44 21 Jan 2009

I've used versions 9, 10, and now 11. In all cases choosing the restore point that you want resulted in Acronis replacing everything as it was prior to the problem. I can't see why that would be different in version 8, but if you are in doubt, drop them an email:

click here

You will need to create an account if you don't already have one, but they will be able to tell you if things have changed....Personally, I doubt it...Choose the restore (.tib file) that you want, and off you go.

johndrew 16:47 21 Jan 2009

If you `Restore` to the partition that the backup was made from it will offer a number of options such as overwriting later data, etc. If you elect to overwrite everything it will leave your C: at the point the backup was made. This will be a fully bootable partition.

It you are `Restoring` to a new drive ATI will treat the drive as one which is clean and produce it as a full C: drive unless you partition it before you start.

If for some reason you wanted to give it any other letter you would need to make the selection.

Pineman100 17:24 21 Jan 2009

crosstrainer - that's reassuring to know, thank you.

johndrew - I think that answers my specific point, thank you. I will be restoring to the C: partition that was imaged, so I shall just elect to overwrite everything fully.

It seems incredible that I've backup with Acronis for years, but this will be my first-ever restore! Just lucky, I guess!

Thanks once again for your responses.

johndrew 10:07 22 Jan 2009

`.. I've backup with Acronis for years, but this will be my first-ever restore!`

But that is what the investment in ATI is all about. If you were to lose everything even once ......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?