Restoring registry after overenthusiastic editing

Diemmess 09:55 01 Mar 2006

Almost any day there will be threads running on how to be rid of nuisance traces of incompletely removed programs.

Deletion of selected items in the registry will often do the trick and when recommended by members there is usually the warning "Back up the Registry first!"

Suppose the system goes belly up? What is the smart way to restore the registry?

Over the years 98 has had 'scanreg /restore'

2000 and XP will boot with last known good configuration. Are these enough for a wrecked registry?

Though I have often done some useful 'regedit-ing' I haven't needed to Restore afterwards and keep a fresh clone handy anyway for serious trouble.

But before recommending regedit to anyone I would like to know the best way of going back to square one when things go wrong, because that seems a necessary part of advice to be offerred to others.

johnnyrocker 12:02 01 Mar 2006

if xp, system restore?

johnny.

Stuartli 13:29 01 Mar 2006

Creating a System Restore point (as well as your Registry backup) before you make any changes should be sufficient.

However temporarily removing and reinstalling hardware or software first will almost certainly guarantee a System Restore point - I've found that just creating a System Restore point doesn't always mean it will work, especially if you have made no changes.

Diemmess 17:14 03 Mar 2006

I can manage my own problems, but when giving advice over the phone to friends and family, or on this Forum, I need a safe Plan "B"

Before recommending REGEDIT to anyone, I want to know the best way of restoring when things go wrong, because that (Plan "B") seems a necessary part of any advice offerred to others whatever version of Windows they are using.

There may not be a one answer suits all, but accepting that Regedit is a powerful tool only occasionally needed, what is a sensible recovery method if damaged?

VoG II 17:21 03 Mar 2006

Backup the registry before you start click here

Diemmess 17:35 03 Mar 2006

Answers exactly what I asked.
There is in fact no quick fix... Will make me somewhat reticent about recommending editing a registry to anyone, unless certain of their ability.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?