Restoring Norton Ghost 2003 Spanned Image Files

Gaz W 19:58 17 Sep 2004

I have to restore my computer using said image files; one .gho extension (which I assume is the main file) and four others - spanned image files with the extension .ghs. The problem is I can't restore them, whether I use Windows or DOS. It says that the file 21-08-2004.gho (or whatever it was) is not a valid Ghost image file.

Just to try it out, I did a backup of my drive using Norton Ghost and my newly installed XP installation (not activated yet). It did this and could read the file afterwards in Norton Ghost Explorer, so I'm sure that would restore. The difference is, that this wasn't spanned; it was small enough to be just one .gho file.

Is there anything I can do to get the files to work?

By the way... the original spanned image files were burned to DVD+Rs from my hard disk - not using Norton Ghost.

Diodorus Siculus 21:35 17 Sep 2004

From this thread, and yesterday's contributions, it sounds as if the image is somehow damaged.

But I will await enlightenment :-}

Gaz W 22:36 17 Sep 2004

OK, lol

For now I've just had to reinstall Windows... I was going to slipstream in SP2 first but I forgot - D'oh! Would have saved me loads of time as well.

Fortunately Windows activated fine!

It does seem as if it's damaged, but hopefully there's a way I can restore it. It's not too much trouble, just that I'll now have to install all my programs again. I suppose an advantage I get a clean Windows XP install out of it! At least it activated as well!

Diodorus Siculus 08:36 18 Sep 2004

Gaz W - and don't forget to create a new image with Ghost!

Gaz W 12:29 18 Sep 2004

That's what I'm going to be doing. I'm just finishing off getting my settings right - a few more programs to install...

...anyway I have an image of a clean XP installation, which should save me time (and it will fit on one DVD easily) if I just want to install it with no software. I'll also be making a Ghost image before and hopefully after installing SP2.

Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to test the Ghost image I burn to DVD to rule out the possibility that the DVDs were somehow to blame!

Anyway I might as well tick this thread as resolved and if I have problems with the new images I'll start a new one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?