Restoring hidden folders and files

Mikera 15:21 04 Nov 2008

I have managed to hide some of my folders under 'Documents' and now I can't see my IE7 bookmarks. If I change the option to show hidden files via 'Folder options' then I can see all the folders, but still can't see my bookmarks. I have been through the folders and removed the 'tick' against 'hidden'. I'm running Vista. Can anyone help please? Many thanks.

Rahere 15:45 04 Nov 2008

Strange - Are you saying your bookmarks do not show inside an open IE7 window or are you trying to view these using another method?

BurrWalnut 16:13 04 Nov 2008

Putting Favorites on the Start Menu and changing the attributes there may work:

Right-click the Windows Orb (Start) > Properties > Start Menu Tab > Customize, scroll down to Favorites and put a tick in it, OK > Apply, etc.

Now click the Orb > right-click Favorites > Properties and remove the tick from Hidden > OK > Apply, etc.

Mikera 16:25 04 Nov 2008

BurrWalnut - thanks for the info. Have tried it but there was no 'tick' in the 'hidden' box. Cheers,

Rahere - I can see the favorites in Windows Explorer but they aren't visible in IE7. Cheers.

DieSse 17:15 04 Nov 2008

Folders called Favorites can be in several places - perhaps somehow you've moved the folder to a wrong location.

The normal place is

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Favorites

Where UserName is your User Name

Otherwise, there is a known issue - reading this might help

click here

Mikera 20:55 04 Nov 2008

Thanks for all the help with this one. I had set the 'hidden' flag on ALL the folders. It has been a case of finding all the folders again and removing the 'hidden' flag. Got confused by the fact there were two 'Favorites' folders. Once I got that clear in my head and I found out how to see the 'hidden' folders, together with the feedback from yourselves, I think I've got it 'cracked'. Thanks again, a great help, keep up the good work.

woodchip 21:35 04 Nov 2008

You will have to go through them all by right clicking on files folders change from Hidden to Archive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires