Restoring factory settings to an old PC

Ganda 20:23 23 Jan 2007

I have a 5 year old Gateway PC that i want to pass on to a friend for her son. I want to ensure it is properly cleaned up and that the it is effectively restored to the factory settings before i hand it over so that none of my personal details are left on the hard drive. I tried following the instructions in the manual to effectively boot it from the windows CD and then reinstall the operating system and build it up from there but it will not boot properly from the CD. Originally it came with windows 98 which I upgrade to ME and then eventually to a version of XP Pro with SP2 before I changed PCs. I keep getting a message that the version of the OS is newer than the CD so I suspect this is why it will not boot properly. Can any of you help me out with this issue. Not being the most technically minded I would be delighted rather than offended if it was the idiots step by step guide that was offered.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:52 23 Jan 2007

I keep getting a message that the version of the OS is newer than the CD so I suspect this is why it will not boot properly.

sounds like an sp1 cd, did up updaye to sp2 using MS updates or from an sp2 cd?

Try slipstreaming Xp and sp2 and burn to a new cd.

click here

lotvic 21:00 23 Jan 2007

According to ( see number 30) click here you have to uninstall SP2 click here (microsoft KB article)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?