Restoring applications using Acronis True Image

stlucia 21:22 05 Nov 2008

I've used Acronis (Norton) True Image for a few years now, to make backups. I've only seriously had to resort to my backup files once, when my PC died and was replaced. Then I reinstalled all my programs from original installation CDs, and then restored my data from my Acronis backup.

I've made an Acronis bootable rescue CD which, it says, I can use to run Acronis True Image even if my PC has failed to boot from its HDD. So, I'm curious about what exactly I can do with this rescue CD: My backups are on a removable external HDD and include all files not just data files so, if my C:\ drive fails and has to be replaced or simply re-formatted, can I simply restore Windows and all other programs from my backup onto the new or re-formatted C:\ drive using the rescue CD, and expect them to run properly?

stlucia 21:24 05 Nov 2008

Sorry -- ignore the reference to Norton in the text.

Technotiger 21:29 05 Nov 2008

I also use Acronis, but have never had to resort to actually restoring - however, as I understand it, the Rescue disk is how you can Boot your PC when you have had a catastrophic failure of the hard drive, and then run the Restore from the external hard drive.

rawprawn 21:37 05 Nov 2008

Yes, connect your external drive and boot from the Acronis CD. Acronis will load, and will find your external drive. You would then choose to restore from that. It will completely reinstall your C:from the backups that you have made to that drive.

DieSse 22:56 05 Nov 2008

"so, if my C:\ drive fails and has to be replaced or simply re-formatted, can I simply restore Windows and all other programs from my backup onto the new or re-formatted C:\ drive using the rescue CD, and expect them to run properly?"

Yes -

I've recovered several systems for other people exactly like that.

stlucia 08:13 06 Nov 2008

Thanks for the responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?