Restore WIN XP general questions

iqs 22:44 18 Jan 2008

Hello.Just a few questions if you don't mind regarding re-installing XP.

I have a Evesham Pc which comes with a restore DVD.If my HD fails,can I install XP onto the new drive with the restore DVD?.

Same scenario but with the recovery DVD's I made for my laptop.

I have used Acronis to make a backup of my complete C: drive,OS,programs etc etc.

If I cloned the C: drive to another HD,would the original drive be erased in the process.

Also would the restore procedure still work on the cloned drive.

Thank you for your time.Cheers

iqs 09:55 19 Jan 2008

sorry

Pamy 10:07 19 Jan 2008

the provided restore DVD usually only restores you current drive back to how it was when you bought it, and only after a software failure. I do not think you can use it to set up another HDD.
A recovery disk for your laptop would only work for the latop as it has different components and software. Acronis can take a snapshot of your entire computer and can be used to transfer that snapshot to another HDD. the original HDD is not eraed You can then take another snapshot of your new HDD after install acronis

johndrew 10:10 19 Jan 2008

Yes, you can use your restore DVD if you need a new HDD but it will leave you in the state you were when you first bought the PC with all the subsequent Windows updates to do.

Laptop DVDs the same.

Acronis backups can be installed on the new HDD but it is better if you can clone the drive before it fails.

No, cloning copies when using Acronis. Whether any other software is around that does erase on cloning I am not aware.

The Acronis restore should work on the cloned drive.

If you read the `Help` file in Acronis or go to their site click here all this is available there.

MAJ 10:16 19 Jan 2008

"I have a Evesham Pc which comes with a restore DVD.If my HD fails,can I install XP onto the new drive with the restore DVD?."

It depends, iqs. If the restore disk is a 'slipstreamed' version of XP, then you shouldn't have a problem. If the restore disk just kicks off a hidden restore partition, then it wont work as the new drive wont have that hidden partition.

"Same scenario but with the recovery DVD's I made for my laptop."

Same answer.

"I have used Acronis to make a backup of my complete C: drive,OS,programs etc etc.

If I cloned the C: drive to another HD,would the original drive be erased in the process."

No. Unless something went wrong.

"Also would the restore procedure still work on the cloned drive."

It depends on whether you also cloned the hidden or restore partition, some computers, notably Compacs, have their's on the D: drive.

iqs 16:32 19 Jan 2008

Pamy,johndrew and MAJ for your very helpful advice.It is appreciated.Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?