Restore Vs. Uninstall

Mr. Chips 09:21 22 Jan 2007

I have just installed a Belkin Bluetooth dongle which does not work as I wish it to … and now want to remove it from my PC.

1. I took a restore point before installation.
2. Belkin have an Uninstall option.

Which is the better thing to do?

Go back to the old restore point
…… Or ……
Use Belkin’s uninstall utility.

What are the Pros and Cons please?

MichelleC 09:49 22 Jan 2007

A restore won't uninstall the hardware, it'll just revert back the system files. So it's best to uninstall.

Batch 12:42 22 Jan 2007

As long as a restore works properly (and there is nothing else it would get rid of that you want), it can be the cleaner approach as it (should) ensure that nothing from the install is left lying around. Whereas uninstalls are notorious for not doing their job properly.

Having said that you'll probably find uninstall is more than adequate. You could always run something like Ccleaner afterwards is you want (click here).

Mr. Chips 15:33 22 Jan 2007

Thank you both .

Not quite differing ideas on the subject, but not quite the same either.

If I do an UnInstall, I assume that a Restore will not work as it won't be able to find some of the items it wants to remove.
Is this so?

What is more likely to give me conflict problems:-
The actual application sofware?
...or..
The Hardware drivers?

Batch 15:49 22 Jan 2007

"If I do an UnInstall, I assume that a Restore will not work as it won't be able to find some of the items it wants to remove."

Not so. System Restore tracks actions of certain types of files in certain folders on your system. This includes adding and removing. So if you uninstall System Restore will know.

Mr. Chips 16:28 22 Jan 2007

Thanks Batch.

That is most interesting.
Does that mean that I can have the best of both worlds?
i.e. Do an UnInstall and then follow up with a RESTORE .... or would that just be stupid?

Batch 08:32 23 Jan 2007

In practice it probably won't make much (any?) difference, but won't do any harm.

Mr. Chips 08:37 23 Jan 2007

Thanks Batch, for all your help.

regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?