Restore points that won't Why is that?

jack 12:02 12 Sep 2008

For a reason I know not the Google desk top has gone missing with all usual tabs, spell check- especially the spell check - has gone AWOL.
So I have been poking around Google desk top and other bits and bob trying to get it back and getting nowhere.

So I though system restore to before

Although there are several points set to 'before'
None will restore.
So why is that?

provider 2 12:20 12 Sep 2008

Bitlocker?? Scroll down:

click here

provider 2 12:31 12 Sep 2008

"Shadow Copy" maybe?

click here

Halmer 12:36 12 Sep 2008

but unfortunately have not been able to solve it.

When I create a manual system restore point I can tell that it has not worked properly because it creates the restore point in about 1 second.

The only way that I can get a proper restore point is to turn system restore off (which deletes all the points) then turn it back on. The restore point created when I do this then works but then it begins to fail again from then on. Weird.

provider 2 12:53 12 Sep 2008

Some suggestions (XP):

click here

birdface 12:55 12 Sep 2008

Try system restore in safe mode.

worcesterman47 13:36 12 Sep 2008

if..just if you use norton anti virus etc etc...you have to disable something in there...i had exactly the same prob...but cured it by disabling something in norton ( but cannot remember where exactly) as my problem was solved thru this forum...i am sure someone can point you in right direction...assuming that you do use norton of course

Lettervanman 14:04 12 Sep 2008

Yes, if Norton, under Norton Internet Security Options untick Turn on Protection for Norton Products. Run restore and then replace tick.

Don't know if other security software can also stop restore.

€dstowe 14:37 12 Sep 2008

Trying to set System Restore on more than the "C" drive will often result in failure and - guess what - Windows XP (and perhaps Vista) tries to have System Restore on all hard drives as default.

gardener 16:06 12 Sep 2008

System Restore has only ever worked successfully for me once. You'd be better off purchasing Acronis True Image which copies the entire system setup so you can restore it if things go wrong. Believe me, it's worth every penny, because it works.

woodchip 18:03 12 Sep 2008

I think the Problem with Norton is Ghost that is part of the software. It needs removing or disabling

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?