Restore points and reformat

lecram 06:09 15 Aug 2007

Hello

I have been struggling with a startup error on my laptop for roughly 8 to 9 months. I have tried all of the great advice offered on this forum. I have now decided to reformat my pc or take it back to a restore point before the errors occurred.

Can someone please provide me with a step by step guide on how to follow these two processes (as well as any useful advice). I must add that I have very good antivirus, antispyware and registry cleaning software. My pc is virus and spyware free but the virus that hit it a while ago did leave this startup error message/problem on the computer.

Batch 09:50 15 Aug 2007

You'll be lucky if you have restore points going back 8 or 9 months.

System Restore can be found at Programs, Accessories, System Tools.

rawprawn 09:58 15 Aug 2007

What kind of a laptop is it, many laptops have a Recovery Partition" that will take it back to factory settings. Did you make Recovery Discs when it was new?

lecram 09:24 16 Aug 2007

It has a windows XP os, laptop is HP pavilion dv5205ea. I did make recovery discs when it was new. Should I reformat rather??

lecram 09:26 16 Aug 2007

Just had a look at all my possible restore points, seems I only have restore points for July and August 2007.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?