RESTORE POINTS

wis 19:09 15 Apr 2009

are restore points linked,keep reading if one is corrupt they all are,can not believe this i set a point when things are good,but it can still go wrong,please advise

User-1229748 19:12 15 Apr 2009

pretty sure they are not linked,but a restore in safe mode is the way to go :o)

wis 19:20 15 Apr 2009

smackheadz
thanks your reply, ie i install xp set up all spot on. create restore, only 2 months later find this is useless,can this be right

User-1229748 19:55 15 Apr 2009

i always found system restore very hit and miss,especially if going back 2 months but as i say doing a system restore from safe mode could still work.

User-1229748 19:59 15 Apr 2009

safe modeclick here

Pineman100 15:50 17 Apr 2009

System Restore never works on my computer in normal mode. But, as smackheadz says, it always works in Safe Mode.

The only thing to remember is that you can't undo a Safe Mode System Restore.

wee eddie 16:00 17 Apr 2009

If you have an Infection, you need to clear all your Restore Points when you clear the Infection, as it can lurk there safe and sound.

john bunyan 17:43 17 Apr 2009

Restore points are, I think , cumulative, like Acronis images, ie each builds on the one before, so you have to go back to a clean one. Often an infection can, if unnoticed be in restore points, so wee eddie,s point is good. Best to check your system for infections and malware and keep an Acronis True Image (if you have it, or equavelent) as an additional safeguard to restore points.

wis 19:17 20 Apr 2009

many thanks your replies
so as i thought then get your system spot on
restore point,but no, any infection ect restore
point is useless,i was thinking microsoft would
create a point what was seeled,bit like a virus vault,nothing in or out

wee eddie 01:45 21 Apr 2009

They infiltrate everywhere.

That's not entirely true, but you can have a virus for a while before you know you have it, so it will be in all the Restore Points between it's arrival and your noticing it.

Also some Viruses bury themselves so deep that they survive a System Restore.

wis 19:09 22 Apr 2009

The only thing to remember is that you can't undo a Safe Mode System Restore

wow that a new one on me,so if i restore in safe mode,dont like it,its impossible to change to another date,wow chaps
please confirm

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?