Restore points?

Ray5776 17:56 20 Mar 2006

Can anyone tell me how Restore works in XP, not the same as backup obviously but very useful thing.
How much disk space does each one require approx, I realise that this variable. Can they be stored on a removable media, if so how?

Ray

rawprawn 18:02 20 Mar 2006

They reqire as much space as your system files take up, Open system Restore/Restore Settings/Settings and you can decide how much space you want them to take, I think default is 12.5% but 5% on new large GB HDD is enough. To the best of my knowledge you can't save them. Use a good backup program such as Acronis True Image click here

Forum Editor 18:09 20 Mar 2006

by Windows XP, and the total amount of space used for them will vary according to the setting on your machine. You can alter the setting by going to Start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore.

You can turn off the system restore facility on any drive, but if you turn it off for the system disk (not recommended) you'll automatically turn it off on all other drives.

The facility works by making a backup of your system registry and machine configuration at regular intervals. Once the available disk space has been filled with restore points WindowsXP will start rolling off earlier restore points as new ones are created. You can create special restore points yourself if you want to, and sometimes this can be a good idea if you are about to add a new hardware item.

Using system restore involves rolling your computer back to the state it was in on a certain date. Data files created after the restore point will be unaffected, but any software you installed after the restore point you choose to use will no longer be there.

Ray5776 18:44 20 Mar 2006

Thanks F.E. that tells me exactly what I wanted to know.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?