Restore point, can't create due to lack of space!

PC840 11:56 19 Aug 2010

I can't create system restore points due to lack of space! I have 4.5gb allocated and only one previous point. Surely this is not right!

gengiscant 12:17 19 Aug 2010

You have far more than one restore point.Windows will create a restore point if you install software,uninstal software etc etc, you will need to make some space by getting rid of the older restore points.
Go to
Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup > More Options > System Restore >
Cleanup will remove all Restore Points except for the most recent.

PC840 19:45 19 Aug 2010

Well I get nothing like that! After Disk Cleanup I get a menu. I cleaned the disk, but just the same. Running Win7 by the way.

Bapou 20:17 19 Aug 2010

I thought gengiscant had provided you with the correct remedy, then you mentioned having Windows 7.

Check out, "The Winhelpline Blog", click here

The answer there for Windows 7 certainly seems different from the XP route.

gengiscant 09:29 20 Aug 2010

In windows 7 go to start-control panel-system-system protection-another box will open-then click on configure.
Here you can move the slider to give you more space, but that is really pointless. At the moment you have far to much space allocated to system restore. I personally only have around 600 MB's for system restore,but I very rarely use it.

If I were you I would first turn off system protection which will remove all your system restore points-then turn it back on and move the slider down to about 10%of your harddrive. Click OK then on the next page click on create which will give you a fresh restore point.

PC840 09:55 20 Aug 2010

'first turn off system protection' done that and reduced slider, but still get something like'not enough storage to create shadow data'. Still can't create restore point!

gengiscant 10:28 20 Aug 2010

Can you go back to the configure screen and tell me what the current usage figure is? Its just above the slider.

PC840 11:34 20 Aug 2010

0 bytes!

gengiscant 11:42 20 Aug 2010

Puzzling.
Try this, go start-search-type CMD-then right click and click on run as administrator- at the flashing icon type sfc /scannow and enter and let it run.
Then try again.

PC840 16:17 20 Aug 2010

Tried that! I am the administrator, but it will not let me go any further! I think a new complete install is needed!

woodchip 16:55 20 Aug 2010

Right Click C:\ Drive and it will tell you how much free space is on the drive. doubt this as changed through all windows versions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?