'Restore' of My Old Disk Structure after ASR??

bertiebassett71 06:52 24 Aug 2008

Novice desperately in need of help - husband has done a non-destructive automated system recovery (Windows XP). This has created an old disk structure on the C drive and there is also a hidden recovery partition. Although I can open some of my old documents on the old disk structure folder, I do not have a clue as to how I effectively restore all of the programs, data etc. It all (hopefully!) looks to be there, I just need to transfer it all so it is usable and set-up ideally as before the ASR.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Bris 12:07 24 Aug 2008

I am only guesing here but it seems that the hidden partition you memtion contains a version of your operating system that the manufacturer created so that you could recover the system in the event of a failure and takes you back to the state the PC was in when you bought it. Your husband seems to have invoked the recovery procedure that overwrites your current OS with this one (slapped wrists all round) hence the fact that your data is intact. It looks as though you will need to reinstall all of your software but before you take any action I would wait for more people to come on board on this one in the mean time it would help if you could provide more info on exactly how this happened i.e what keys did he press and what did he see on the screen.

Bris 12:25 24 Aug 2008

For more info try click here

Bris 12:32 24 Aug 2008

Please disregard my first posting as I am now getting a flavour of ASR. As its XP Professional only I think you need to wait for someone to come onboard that has experience of it but you can still use the link that I provided earlier to get some background information.

Bris 12:54 24 Aug 2008

This should be of assistance. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?