Restore mode not working --drive letters changed

SparkyJack 08:55 18 Jun 2014

An HP desktop has me my way 'in trouble'. After an initial poke I decided the easy way out is to save files to a pen drive and use the 'restore' mode.

On boot up the HP start screen gives F numbers for BIOS/restore(f11) etc.

So f11 was pressed ----and nothing happened

Looking at 'my computer' and looking into 'D' revealed an empty drive with a request to insert medial looking into all other 'drive' letters --builtin multi card reader--showed all the ''recovery files residing in 'G'

So. Wruill renaming 'G' to 'Do' bring things back to normal or is there some thing more sinister afoot?

SparkyJack 18:15 18 Jun 2014

Any thoughts please

BRYNIT 20:10 18 Jun 2014

When your computer boot into the recovery menu it does not read the drive the same way as Windows so changing the drive letter wouldn't make a difference.

Have you changed the size of the partitions on the drive, if so this can sometimes prevent the recovery from working. Another possibility is a corrupt file preventing the recovery from working properly.

Did you created a set of recovery disks? If you have use the recovery disks as these hopefully will reset the drive and restore the computer back to factory default.

SparkyJack 05:57 19 Jun 2014

Brynit

Thank you for your thoughts.

It is not my computer,but one from my flock Of 'Silver surfers',who I am certain would not know the answers.

I'll change drive letters for starters and take it from there.

BRYNIT 09:42 19 Jun 2014

You might want to try creating a set of recovery disks. If a set has already been done do a search on creating a second set of recovery disks should help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?