Restore lappy to factory spec

tonyt1151 19:39 15 Nov 2010

Hi.My HP laptop has become slow and a bit unstable with various progams not loading for what seems an age. I have run things like defrag, ccleaner, Eusing reg cleaner and Malwarebytes all to no avail. I now think I may need to do a factory restore using either the built in recovery partition or the recovery discs I created when the comp. was new. I have a 500gb external drive and Acronis but I am unsure about the correct procedure to restore. I would be grateful therefor if someone could give me step by step instructions to carry out my restore. I would probably print these off.

Strawballs 19:45 15 Nov 2010

If you have an Acronis restore from when it was working properly that would be the way to go if not just boot from disc 1 of the recovery discs and follow instructions

tonyt1151 19:52 15 Nov 2010

Strawballs
Thanx but I have only just got ext HDD and Acronis so I can do restore. Will using discs prompt me to back up or do I need to do that first. Sorry to sound a bit dim but I am frightened of screwing things up completely ! lol

The Kestrel 19:54 15 Nov 2010

You could try using this video click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:55 15 Nov 2010

HP/Compaq laptops.
1. Reboot, and repeatedly press F10 (F11) at the HP logo until the recovery screen appears.
2. When the recovery screen appears, press "Next" and then "Yes" to perform a non-destructive recovery.
3. To perform a destructive recovery, click "Advanced" and then "Yes".
4. After the recovery is finished, the laptop will reboot.

woodchip 22:06 15 Nov 2010

To Restore Press F11 as that is the HP Restore key, I have a HP Laptop. But you need the Recovery CD that you should have made when New or you may have created a Backup to the Hard Drive. So you can test F11 as its starting without CD as you have nothing to loose

tonyt1151 19:24 22 Nov 2010

Ok . I have created Acronis b/up and done restore back to factory settings. Do I need to re install Acronis before trying to recover the b/up cos every time I try all I get is a message saying Windows cannot open and needs to know what program created it. Also I have a second problem now in that I can't access the PCAdvisor web site. It opens and almost immediately says internet experience cannot open it and aborts the operation .I have KIS AntiVirus

woodchip 13:40 23 Nov 2010

For Acronis Backup just start PC with Acronis CD in the drive

lotvic 13:51 23 Nov 2010

Am I missing a point here?

You made an Acronis backup image then restored the laptop back to factory settings, Now you are wanting to put the Acronis backup image back onto the laptop?

Surely you will be back to square one if you do? or am I not understanding properly?

tonyt1151 14:12 23 Nov 2010

lotvic
I was hopeing I could just re install certain items eg photos,music and some files and folders and not everything

tonyt1151 14:16 23 Nov 2010

With regard to issue opening PCA site (see earlier response 22/11) that is the only website I am having problems with and then only on that laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone