Restore and keep data, which data?

kinger 22:42 25 Feb 2005

On my new PC the settings are messed up, a number of things need attention.

So I thought that I might just use the restore disk under the 'restore OS and all original software, without destroying your data' option.

Rather than format the whole drive and lose everything that I've installed, updated etc., I though that this would be the best option.

But, when it says it doesn't destroy your data, does it mean literally your word files, pictures etc. or will it also not destroy the actual installations that I've done.

It's too risky without checking with you guys first. I've got an Advent T9303 if it's any help.

Happy Soul 22:49 25 Feb 2005

Which settings are 'messed up'? You may not have to take drastic steps.

kinger 22:57 25 Feb 2005

Task bar isn't showing all the icons it should be showing, even with 'hide' off.

Outlook 2003 isn't installing properly, import/export fails to work.

MS Office (Word, Publisher, etc.) won't show images or layouts properly, if at all.

Some installations freeze while trying to install them.

Oh, and a fan inside the case is running fast and then slow, like, revving up constantly, ... that is something different, I know, but worrying none the less.

VoG II 23:00 25 Feb 2005

Take it back to the supplier as unfit for purpose.

kinger 23:22 25 Feb 2005

You may be right. I've just had to do that for the last one I had from PC World. It lasted two hours before it gave up altogether.

But after spending days reinstalling all my programs and updating them, I'm not too keen to admit defeat.

Back up's are useless as they won't reinstall on a different PC, XP doesn't like it I'm told.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?