Restore to factory settings

andyurzzz 21:41 12 Apr 2009

I have an Imedia 1308 which I am trying to restore to factory settings. I have just created the master dvd and had it in disc drive for start up. It went through to the 'input serial number' page but it will not allow me to type in my number. It is not a keyboard problem (used 3, which are in otherwise full working order). Desperately need some help here as am in dire need to restore factory settings asap. Thanks in advance.

phono 21:57 12 Apr 2009

Is the cursor visible in the serial number input box? Try hitting the Alt + Tab keys to see if some other process has possibly "stolen" focus from the input box.

Have you tried both sets of numeric keys on the keyboard? Have you tried the numeric keypad with the Num Lock button both on and off?

woodchip 22:07 12 Apr 2009

Why do you want to restore to Factory settings?

andyurzzz 22:15 12 Apr 2009

Will try the alt + tab process. Have tried both sets of numeric keys. Wanting to restore factory settings as had a major virus which messed up registry keys. This has now been cleared but the damage is done and the computer is pretty much running on its last legs in its current state. If the Alt + Tab keys do not work, is there any further advice? There was no visible cursor on the page, only the flashing box on input line.

woodchip 22:21 12 Apr 2009

If you have a full XP disc not a restore CD put it in the drive and reboot with it run setup, it will then look for Operating System and show what it finds click on the OS it finds then press R

andyurzzz 22:29 12 Apr 2009

Dont have an XP disc. Is it possible to getthis from anywhere?

phono 22:34 12 Apr 2009

Does the PC currently boot into windows at all? Can you boot into safe mode?

When you say "I have just created the master dvd" was this created after the virus infection? If so it is possible that the files and/or the program used to create the DVD were corrupted or damaged in some way.

Have you definitely got the mouse and keyboard connected properly as if they are PS2 connectors they will physically fit in either port but will not work properly unless connected to the correct port.

phono 22:40 12 Apr 2009

"If you have a full XP disc not a restore CD put it in the drive and reboot with it run setup, it will then look for Operating System and show what it finds click on the OS it finds then press R"

That will take you to the Recovery Console and not to a repair install, to do a repair install follow the instructions at click here

andyurzzz 22:40 12 Apr 2009

Unfortunately I have only just created the disc so post infection. The computer still boots up (am on it now). The wires are in correctly.

woodchip 22:49 12 Apr 2009

Thats how it works on my XP comps

woodchip 22:50 12 Apr 2009

You may be able to borrow a CD, to do a repair

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?