Restore Drive with Norton Ghost

SURVEY 19:31 31 Mar 2007

Ok guys and gals I need your help. My computer has been messed up after trying to upgrade my Zonealarm Free Firewall. Using system restore I got back to my earlier version of Zonealarm but it is not working properly. I deleted that version and all seems to be OK. However when I download a fresh copy of my earlier version the computer crashes. I have subsequently found that the Zonealarm uninstaller appears to leave files all over the place and looking at the website it is just too complicated to consider deleting files and registry items. All works OK using just the Windows Firewall.

So I decided to restore a full disc image taken using Norton Ghost 9. This would not allow me to carry out a hot restore but instructed me to boot from its own Recovery Environment disc. Now Ghost reletters the drives in its recovery environment. I can find my local backup that is located on an external drive but when instructed to state where to restore the image to the main C drive is not even listed. I have checked the capacity of all the drives it lists but the main c drive is not there so I cannot restore the image.

I have previously ditched Norton Internet Security but always felt that Ghost was OK and indeed I have taken many images and verified them successfully. It is only when I go to restore a complete drive that this problem has arisen. We are all aware of what Symantec’s ‘help’ is like so I am appealing to this forum where answers are usually quickly forthcoming. Help!

bretsky 21:11 31 Mar 2007

Going back to Z/A issue, have you tried going into C\Windows\system32\ZoneLabs and delete the ZoneLabs folder, reboot your PC and try and reinstall Z/A.

bretsky ;0)

SURVEY 08:54 01 Apr 2007

bretsky - no had not tried that; the folder is empty but have deleted it and will try. There are many bits of Zonelabs files on the computer after using their own uninstaller!! I am not very impressed!

SURVEY 09:51 01 Apr 2007

Has anyone any experience of a Ghost Drive recovery? I can access the image of my drive that is stored on my external drive but as previously stated but when instructed to state where to restore the image to the main C drive is not even listed. I have checked the capacity of all the drives it lists but the main c drive is not there so I cannot restore the image.

Symantec's 'help' is useless and they will not support my Version 9 (that is not that old!) and will not accept email queries.

After this I shall now ditch the last of my Norton products and switch to Acronis!

Can anyone help me restore my drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?