RESTORE DISCS WON'T WORK

parkhead 14:19 08 Jun 2008

Hello Wizards,

Please see below the line a problem I previously posted. Several people very kindly posted suggestions. However, I have tried everything but it has not helped. I would really like to get my Restore Discs to work as they used to so I can start from scratch. Any suggestions as to how to make them work would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jim

----------------------------------------------

I have a six year old E-Machine which suits my needs and has served me well. Occasionally, over the years if it begins to run slowly, I have simply backed up my files and then loaded up the 'Restore Discs' which have made it as good as new. It is currently running slowly, taking an age to start up and complete some tasks. However, when I loaded the Restore Disc it did not automatically run as before. Instead it opened up as a window with various files. Three files had 'set up symbols' but I did not want to tinker with these individually. I would really like the Restore Discs just to do the job they have previously done. Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Jim

crosstrainer 14:28 08 Jun 2008

Have you set your BIOS to boot from the restore disk?

Enter your BIOS setup screen (usually DEL key on boot up)

FInd the Boot order screen

Set first boot device to CD ROM

Save settings

Re-boot with restore disk in drive.

When restore is completed, Re-enter BIOS and make Hard Disk the first boot device again.

skidzy 19:04 08 Jun 2008

Certainly sounds like your bios boot order as crosstrainer points out.

However,as this is an Emachine,you should have a hidden partition (unless its been removed).

Tapping F11 on startup will access the recovery/restore partition giving you three options;

1) Restore to factory settings

2) Repair Windows without data loss

3) Reinstall windows without data loss

Your options may vary to what ive listed.

woodchip 20:10 08 Jun 2008

They may have changed the way restore works but, I cannot see any harm in trying it your way. Also some restore discs work if you tap F8 when starting and in the list it asks if you want to boot from CD

parkhead 10:24 09 Jun 2008

Yippee! Got it back to factory settings.

Crosstrainer - Many thanks for that. I'm afraid, having a limited knowledge, I was a bit scared to go into BIOS.

Skidzy - I tried tapping F11 but I'm afraid it did not work although I know where you were coming from as my son's computer can be sorted this way.

Woodchip - F8 did the business! It gave me an option of restoring Windows and the Restore Discs did their job from there.

Computer is now good as new and is 'flying' again.

Grateful thanks to you guys who give of your time to help lesser mortals like me.

Sincerely, thank you!

Jim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?