Restore backed-up Money 2005 file from XP on Vista

maasai 17:18 11 Aug 2007

I have just bought a new PC with Vista pre-installed, and I am having problems restoring Microsoft Money 2005 files backed-up on my old computer (running XP Professional) on the new PC.
The following message is displayed:

"Money cannot locate 'C:\...' or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected."

The file is not read-only, and the disk is not write-protected, and I have administrator rights on the PC (it's MY Pc!). Are there any known compatibility issues with Vista and Money, or with files backed-up on XP and then restored on Vista?

Diemmess 18:03 11 Aug 2007

The OSs are different and you may be a trifle ambitious trying to restore an XP application to a Vista OS.

Have you tried installing Money in Vista and then merely copying the data files from the old XP computer to the new Vista one?

Rebus_bloggs 15:07 21 Aug 2007

I have had just the same problem!
At the beginning of the install it said there were Known compatibility problems... but when I went further it just said to load an updated version of MacroMedia, which I did. But as you have found out, when I tried to bring in the back up file ..."Money cannot locate 'C:\...' or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected."

so what do we do now??????????????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?