restore from back up

bythor 07:58 15 Feb 2011

Hi. I think my hard drive may be about to not play the game. Occasioanaly on boot I don't get past the bios, and eventually all works after a few resets. There are also disk errors being reported when Itry various maintenance steps now and then. Anyway, I'll investigate more when I get time, but for now I realise that I've never had to replace a hard drive so ought to check the exact process! I regularly backup my C drive (I have no other partitions)to a 1TB WD Nas drive, using Acronis 2011. If the hd does fail, and I get a new bare one - I need to know the steps once I've physically bolted the new drive in the case. Can you help?

mgmcc 11:33 15 Feb 2011

Presumably you're creating .tib "image" files with Acronis? That being the case, you would boot the PC with the Acronis CD and use the option to Restore an image file from the external drive. The procedure is no different from restoring an image when the C drive is messed up, or you want to get rid of some software that doesn't do what you require and revert to the previous state (which I do regularly!). The only difference is that you need to run Acronis from the CD instead of from the installation in Windows.

The new drive that you're restoring to *doesn't* need to be partitioned and formatted; Acronis puts in the existing partition, formatting and data.

If you got Acronis as a download and don't have the CD, you need to use the option to "Create Bootable Rescue Media".

Batch 14:40 15 Feb 2011

Just following on from mgmcc's post - if you don't have an Acronis boot CD, make one ASAP before the existing HDD gives up the ghost.

bythor 18:38 15 Feb 2011

thanks for your help folks - fingers crossed then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?