Restore a ACRONIS image from external HDD

iqs 17:18 09 Jan 2009

Hi,

Just wondering if you can restore an image of the C: drive from an external HDD,using the ACRONIS CD to boot the PC ?.
I have restored images from a HDD before,but this was from within a working XP install.

Cheers

lotvic 17:38 09 Jan 2009

Boot from the CD - follow the instructions and choose the .tib image from the external HDD

You will find that the screen menu from the CD is the same screen you get when opening Acronis TI from within Windows.

You ought to test your boot CD to make sure it is okay (has burnt to CD and is working)

Nothing 'automatic' happens when you boot from the CD. You remain in full control at all times to choose options from the menu.

iqs 17:43 09 Jan 2009

Hi lotvic,

Thanks for the advice,the retail CD does indeed boot the PC,left in the optical drive once by mistake.
n the pass when using my desktop,I have copied the image to my second internal HDD,this procedure works.

I asked the question due to installing ACRONIS on my laptop,had a few problems with it over the last copy of days.A saved image would of helped.

Once again many thanks for your help.
Cheers

lotvic 17:46 09 Jan 2009

Well then, just have the external HDD connected before you boot with the CD so that Acronis can detect it.
Hope that was of some help :)

iqs 19:31 09 Jan 2009

Hi lotvic,

Your advice was of help,thanks.I appreciate all advice offered by the forum members.

woodchip 19:35 09 Jan 2009

You can if the Image is on first Partition of the Drive. for me Acronis 9 will not see more than first Partition on a external Partitioned Drive. If saved on first Partition its no Problem

iqs 19:56 09 Jan 2009

Hi woodchip,

The external only has one partition,thank you for the advice,cheers

woodchip 20:00 09 Jan 2009

Then you are okay it should work. I create a Image to another Partition first on a Internal Drive then copy it to external one

iqs 20:07 09 Jan 2009

My laptop only has a 80GB HDD,I'm not keen on partitioning it due to the small size.
So the external HDD is the answer,until I clone the current HDD to a lager HDD then action two partitions .Cheers woodchip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone