'Restart Computer' results in Keyboard Freezing

dregn 11:01 12 Sep 2006

I have recently carried out a clean install of WinXP Pro on a new HDD. Operation is normal except when I come to 'Restart Computer'.There is no 'beep' as the machine reboots and the OS loads, but when the desktop appears both the keyboard and the mouse pointer are 'frozen'.
If I press the 'Reboot' button the boot is normal and operation is satisfactory.

Any ideas, please.

Gongoozler 11:55 12 Sep 2006

Most computers will give a short beep at startup to indicate that the motherboard Power On Self Test (POST) has completed satisfactory with no errors found. However as your computer goes on to load Windows I would guess that there is no problem and your computer is one of the exceptions. The fact that your computer restarts OK makes me wonder if this is a hard drive slow to get up to speed. You can test this if your computer BIOS has an option to disable "Quick Power On Self Test", probably in a "Boot" sub menu.
Another possibility that occurs to me is that your keyboard and mouse aren't PS/2, and the drivers aren't loading quickly enough.

dregn 19:33 12 Sep 2006

Gongoozler
Thank you for those interesting suggestions.
The HDD in question is a new 400GB Seagate (Partioned approximately in two )
I will disable Fast Boot in the BIOS and see if that has an effect.
So far as I know the mouse and keyboard are PS2.However, I did load the Logitech drivers for the mouse which has a conventional connection.
The keyboard is connected via a USB plug but with a PS2 adaptor.I will try changing to USB.

Gongoozler 07:53 13 Sep 2006

Hi dregn. PS/2 should be OK, what I was wondering was if USB or wireless devices were causing problems.

dregn 20:01 13 Sep 2006

Hi, Gongoozler,

Thank you for that.
I have not set up any wireless devices as yet and USB devices are limited to a 2GB stick of flash memory.
It is a minor annoyance and maybe something I will have to live with. ( But it will still bug me ! )
Thanks for your interest.
Denis

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone