Resize Partition - Free Partition manager

00edgarj 21:45 24 Jun 2003

I need to re-size my partition to accomodate a second partition to put a different version of windows on.

I have one partition on my 40Gb Hard Drive (it is 40Gb) and want to turn this into one 10Gb and one 30Gb partition

I know programs like Partition Magic can do this but I dont want to have to spend this much money on a program I will only use once - fdisk does not allow me to re-size partitions.

Can any one recommend a free Partition manager that allows me to re-size partitions?

I have tried one called Ranish? but all I can get it to do is install itself onto a floppy disk - i can't actually get it to run the program. Am i missing something?

I run Windows XP on the active partition, which has been defragmented to try to move as many files as possible to the start of the drive to leave the rest of the drive empty.

zanwalk 22:30 24 Jun 2003

Current edition of PC Plus (Aug) has a copy of Partition Commander 6 on the cover disk, I haven't tried it yet, but it comes well recommended.

beeuuem 02:01 25 Jun 2003

To run Ranish you need to click on the EXE icon eg
PART243.EXE which will open a window showing you the management display.

00edgarj 10:50 25 Jun 2003

I have tried running this exe but all it doe sis ask if I want to copy part.exe to a floppy.

I will try to get hold of PC Pro today - results later...

beeuuem 12:19 25 Jun 2003

I used it(very carefully !) to partition a working disk. Unfortunately, I can't offer any help as to why it won't run for you.

00edgarj 18:57 25 Jun 2003

for your help - I managed to get hold of PC Plus after a very long cycle ride past 4 other newsagents and supermarkets that didn't stock it - eventually found it in Alldays! Thanks for your recommendation rayburn, I have now created the extra partition by resizing my old one!

Thanks,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?