Resetting windows XP password

jono366 22:21 12 Sep 2003

Have windows XP Home Edition, only one user on the system and they have forgotten the log in password. Does anyone know how to reset this from the log in screen, or how to bypass log in.

sil_ver 22:25 12 Sep 2003

Even if there was a way I doubt anyone will tell you. For all we know this could be a stolen PC or someone trying to get at personal details.

Q-Bie 22:40 12 Sep 2003

If it was a stolen PC, it would be more efficient to just wipe it clean and install a copy of XP over the top.

Working in a PC Clinic there are numerous occasions where we have to do work on a customers PC but can't because they haven't left their passwords. XP Home is not a secure OS like Windows 2000 / XP Pro.

Just load into safe mode, and on the welcome screen is the Administrator account. Use that to remove the users password. Note that it will also wipe out any saved passwords for webpages etc.. that they may have on the system (security precaution!).

And for anyone who thinks I just told him how to gain access... all he had to do was boot into safe mode as admin anyway, and he would have complete access to the system. It's just like pressing Cancel on the 95/98/ME login screen.

Oh, and if the Admin password has a password (if its an OEM it won't), then you're stuffed :p

jono366 22:46 12 Sep 2003

Thanks for tha ,going of to try it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone