resetting network address

robert01 21:14 01 Apr 2010

I have a broadband internet connection with talktalk, windows vista and belkin modem.

Sometimes if I can't connect I fix it by turning the modem off at the wall for a moment, sometimes that doesn't fix it so I have to go through the talktalk assist program where it suggests resetting my network address and restarting the computer - but that is rarely necessary.

However over the last 10 days or so I have had to do that last option pretty much every day and it doesn't always work out.

Tonight I had to do it again and it didn't fix it, I turned modem off and on again, restarted the computer, tuned modem off and on again - still getting 'page cannot be diplayed' finally I got on. During this time all the lights are green on the front of the modem.

Phoned talktalk last week who said there were no issues in my area and suggested replacing the adapter that connects the phone and modem line to the main phone line out of the house. I had a spare one but it made no difference ( was doubtful that it would ).

Any help most welcome, thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:40 01 Apr 2010

Start - run - type cmd press OK

type
ipconfig /release
press return

type
ipconfig /flushdns
press return

reboot the machine and retry

robert01 18:06 11 Apr 2010

Thanks for the suggestion but that didn't help.

The connection is still very unstable, sometimes I can connect straight away sometimes it takes countless attempts. I am still getting booted off at frequent intervals - although sometimes I can be on for a couple of hours withoout any problems.

There is no problem with my line or exchange, talktalk confirm this. Most times when I can't connect all the modem lights are green.

I set up a VPN connection a couple of months ago and I now find that if I can't connect to Google then if I connect to the VPN and then try again that seems to make it work - but still the connection keeps dropping each day.

Not sure how VPNs work and how this may help me connect sometimes.

robert01 20:48 12 Apr 2010

Can anyone help me with this ?

I don't believe it has anything to do with the settings on my computer ( I have changed mothing ) or that the VPN causes the problem - I am only able to type this at the moment because I have activated the VPN.

I just connected my laptop which is normally wireless directly to the modem - it confirmed that I was connected, the green lights were on the modem but once again when trying to connect to google or amazon it waits then I get 'this page cannot be displayed'.

It must be TalkTalk - I can think of no other issue.

Any ideas please ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017