Reset to factory settings

barrydol 13:28 27 Dec 2006

My PC's becoming fairly sluggish so I've decided to restore it to its factory settings.Its a 5yr old IBM machine using XP pro. Since I bought it i've added an extra HD. However there are 2 or 3 programmes on my original HD I would really like to keep but I don't have the installation CD's etc. Can I use Window's Backup facility to copy these programmes on to my extra HD, perform the factory settings operation and then restore the backups? Would this work? Dont want to lose anything. Thanks.

howard64 13:35 27 Dec 2006

normally you cannot copy an installed prog. About the only way would be to use a ghost prog to create an image of your hard drive - the problem with that being you have all the probs from the original drive transferred over.

barrydol 13:42 27 Dec 2006

I have a Norton Ghost 10 disc. I've never used it before. Can I not just create an image of the progs I want to keep?

€dstowe 13:45 27 Dec 2006

Creating am image of a program will not work as there will be bits of it all over the place in your machine. As well as the parts that you see and have direct access to there are entries in the registry and other hidden "secret" places.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?