rescyled\boot.com is not avalid win32 application

Bruz 10:49 07 Dec 2008

Each time I click on my D or M hard drives in my-computer I get the above message.
If I right click and use explore it is fine.
I have read page after page on the net and tried most of the solutions, all to no avail.
Has anyone actually cured that XP system bug?
Cheers Bruz

bretsky 11:52 07 Dec 2008

It's a worm according to this click here

bretsky ;0(

Bruz 12:19 07 Dec 2008

Thanks for your input I have been on that site and removed the autorun.inf and nothing happened.
There is no autorun on the two infected drives!!
AVG 8.0 cannot detect it neither can pest patrol or the latest version of spybot they all failed.
I have searched AVG site and they have no knowledge of this virus!!
Thanks anyway
Cheers Bruz

bretsky 13:29 07 Dec 2008

Have you used this click here

A lot of the the form members here swear by it and it is mentioned in my first link.

bretsky ;0)

Rahere 14:12 07 Dec 2008

I'd advise you run any cleaning scan in safe mode!

If mawarebytes' anti-malware (MBM) doesn't get it try using a squared click here there are two free versions the version 3.5 has a standard interface, note that version 4 has more features, but runs from a command line using old fashioned DOS like commands

good luck

Bruz 09:49 08 Dec 2008

Thank you both for your input, sadly neither softwares cured the problem.
All together I ran 3 reg cleaners and 4 malware cleaners all in safe mode and none of them even noticed the bug.
I may add at this point that where cures work on millions of other computers they never seem to work on mine!!!
The last resort was to run AVG safe mode scanner and bingo the problem is solved. The safe mode tip was the clincher.
So thanks again to you both.

Cheers Bruz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?