request to confirm BT internet addys as legit??

p;3 20:24 04 Jul 2008

I assume I am not the only one to have received an email from the BT team for BTYahoo mail users to log into server and make some adjustments to their mail setting via the server ??
I quote a part of the mail I received

'We're upgrading the security of your BT Yahoo! Mail account to help prevent identity fraud and spam.

These enhancements will help protect you from 'spoofing' - when people use alternate addresses to disguise an email's real sender, possibly to commit fraud.

Making the improvements work
For the security improvements to work, we need you to take a few minutes now to verify each of the alternate email addresses you use in BT Yahoo! Mail. This will confirm that these email addresses are genuine. If you don't verify your alternate BT Yahoo! Mail addresses, you may get an Error 553 message and have difficulty sending emails.

Please verify addresses now to avoid blocking of your outgoing emails.

Simply follow the step-by-step instructions at click here. You won't be asked for any personal information, but you'll need to log in to your account to make the changes.'

I guess this is a legit request??
Does it mean you will get error messages ONLY if you send mails via the web server page or if you do use OE?

ListysDad 20:29 04 Jul 2008

I'm a BT user and I'm ignoring mine because (as I understand it) it is only of relevance when you use Yahoo alias email addresses - which I don't.

HTH (oh and is correct!)

Ditch999 20:29 04 Jul 2008

As a rule Do not click on links in any email which you think may be dodgy in any way.
Go to the homepage of the website and log in from there. If there are any issues it should tell you then.

p;3 20:36 04 Jul 2008

even if we do not use web mail we may need to make these changes to keep our mails 'active'

and of note I am an avid user of mailwasher

rdave13 21:03 04 Jul 2008

Using link scanner light on your link it showed no problems.
A good thing perhaps for a tad more secure emailing?

Technotiger 21:06 04 Jul 2008

I am with BT and have a BT Yahoo mail address, which I don't actually use, other than to check occasionally for any mails from BT - I have just signed in and checked, but did not get any request about security checking.

p;3 21:20 04 Jul 2008

you should receive a mail about this change, similar to the one we had some while ago about authenticating our e mail addys ;

with this one , as I understand it, unless you log into server and verify the email addys as per the above info , in due course you will NOT be able to send any mails from the server

how this affects using OE etc I do not know

rdave13 21:29 04 Jul 2008

I don't think it will affect OE only BT Yahoo! Mail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?