Req: Programme to Analyse .Pdf phone bills

myfoot 15:08 29 Nov 2006

Well I can download my mobile phone bill as a .pdf but all catorgories of calls are listed together, eg sms,gprs internet, calls and sms. Most of my usage seems to be be isp internet ( ah, Operamini click here ).

It woulf be very tedious to copy line by line to Excel, so would be interested if anybody has seen an application that would do this, extract by filter from .pdf to Excel or even to Word. Free, or cheap, of course.

Batch 15:11 29 Nov 2006

Some phone Co's allow one to download bills in some sort of text format - have you had a good look on their website to see if this is an option that could be used to source excal?

myfoot 18:58 29 Nov 2006

Just to up the query a bit. Answer to above is no.
The only download possible is as pdf. Some filtering is allowed on the actual web page, but its' very limited.

myfoot 19:38 29 Nov 2006

Have been back to the mobile provider's web page, and even thoough it mentions downloading Acrobat Reader it doesn't give the option to actually download the bill as pdf. Hmmm

Simsy 21:43 29 Nov 2006

OCR programs can output to Excel files...

Do you have any OCR software? Older versions are often given away on magazine coverdiscs, or you may find some for free by searching.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

myfoot 10:58 30 Nov 2006

Thanks Simsy re OCR. I actually have Readiris from magazine disc. Never thought much of it, but then my experience was with scanned images.

Might fare better with source HTML. Yeah I suppose if it works, Excel can do the filtering/sorting.(light bulb just lit over my head)

Sounds like you've done this sucessfully. Will have a look. In fact may have taken Readiris of PC as I never used it.
tnx

vinnyT 12:53 30 Nov 2006

myfoot, I've just tried on readIris pro 7 (mag freebie), dosn't recognise .pdf format, so unless you have a later version that may handle .pdf, don't bother re-installing.

myfoot 13:08 30 Nov 2006

Thanks for the info "vinnyT. Bit of confusion here, never my fault;),.
Acrobat reader is mentioned on phone bill , but, no possibility to download bill as pdf.
So I would be saving the web page as HTML, then trying readiris on the HTML.
Just checked my version is same as your, but no longer installed. Have backup though.

This project is becoming a bit of a monster. might be time to put it on the back burner.

Simsy 13:09 30 Nov 2006

there are a couple of workrounds...

Open the pdf and take a "print screen" which copies the contents of the screen to the clipboard...

Past into a graphics programme as a new image...

save that as a type of file that the OCR will recognise..

Or, slightly longer... Print out the pdf, scan it and asave it as an image that the pf will cope with.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 13:12 30 Nov 2006

If the bill is html, presuming the relevant data is in a table format on the webpage, you should just be able to copy/paste the table into Excel.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

myfoot 13:22 30 Nov 2006

Heah Simsy boy(girl?), You're on the button there.
I so tend to complicate things. Just copied table, and pasted to Excel.

Purrrrrrrrrrfect.

Will now try to sort/filter. will post once more with results.
cheers allround for encouragment/feedback

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?