Reporting Online Crime

mackaycc 23:59 24 Mar 2004

Does anybody know what the best way to report online crime is. Is there any website I can go to where I can report someone?

Thanks

Djohn 00:20 25 Mar 2004

click here is the site you want (IWF) courtesy of FE. Read his post and you will see a link to the IWF. j

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:24 25 Mar 2004

click here or directly to Plod at click here and more specifically....click here

If it is a Nigerian 419 there is little point in reporting it as with most well-known scams.

G

mackaycc 00:32 25 Mar 2004

It's not the Nigerian scam - like most I have come across that all too often! What I have actually found is someone who is offering credit card numbers and tools to spoof credit cards online. Very unsavoury!

Forum Editor 00:43 25 Mar 2004

that the UK Police prefer that you do not report Internet related crime to them directly. This is because they are inundated with reports about matters over which they can take no action - usually because the sites in question are located on servers in other countries - or because in fact no crime is being/has been committed.

There is an organisation called the Internet Watch Foundation that was set up in conjunction with the Police and major Internet service providers, and the Police would prefer that you refer all instances of suspected Internet crime to this source intitially. The IWF have people who are specifically trained to be able to decide whether or not your report should be passed to Police or not, and they will take it from there.

You can make your report if you
click here

mackaycc 00:48 25 Mar 2004

So what would you suggest FE. Is it worth reporting? It doesn't actually fall into any of the categories on that site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?