Reported connection speeds and ISP change.

Epirb406 18:25 20 Jun 2007

I am just about to migrate away from Tiscali 2Mb broadband. They have been no problem for years, until I had a problem!

The problem I have with them is connection speeds, great from 0200 to 1100, rubbish all other times!

Tiscalis standard speed test is right here: click here it indidcates as I said, less than 300kbps when I want to use it and up to 2000 at 0600.

Researching other isp's I heard tell of speed reporting on a page of my Modem router set up (US Robotics 9110) So I check it out.

On the ADSL, Status page it indicates :

Data Rate: Upstream 288 (Kbps.)
Downstream 2272 (Kbps.)

The link above says that my connection speed is currently 283 Kbps download.

Any clues anyone?

Thanks in advance, Epirb.

Dipso 22:43 21 Jun 2007

As your problem is only at peak times on the net it's probably ISP congestion.

Do your homework before you migrate to avoid jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

You'll probably be able to get up to 8 Meg speeds from a new provider for less than you currently pay.

Epirb406 19:00 22 Jun 2007

Hi Dipso, thanks for that,

Yes I am absolutly sure it is isp congestion, it is the fact that they have tried to hide it for six months and now don't care about it that is causing the move,

New ISP will be ADSL24, a small isp but I can find no bad said of them.

Still mistified as to the routers ADSL report though....

BRGDS, Epirb.

Dipso 22:23 22 Jun 2007

ADSL24 (one of the Entanet resellers) are a good choice. I always tend to go for smaller ISP's over bigger well known names.

Epirb406 19:27 25 Jun 2007

Still wondering wjy my router reports 2272 down and 288 up when current online speed indicated by Tiscalis own website is 320Kbps?

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Epirb.

Dipso 22:38 25 Jun 2007

Probably congestion, they can't cope with demand.

Epirb406 19:48 26 Jun 2007

Hi Dipso, thanks for your interest and attention to this thread but I may have not made myself clear.....

What I am interested in is that the ADSL page on my router indicates the advertised speeds for my broadband package despite the fact that that is never what I receive (Due to congestion and download throttling) Where is the information on the routers page coming from?

Cheers, Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone