Replying to emails in Outlook - appearance

safe as milk 21:07 15 May 2008

Hi all

When I reply to an email I find that the appearance seems to be unpredictable. Sometimes it's in my default font (as set in Word) with a stylish-looking line separating my reply from the original message. Also, the original message is indented and coloured differently from the reply. All of which looks quite good.

At other times there's no line, no indentation and a rather skanky choice of font - Courier New. I've tried changing between html, rich text and plain text but that seems to make no difference.

Is there anything I can do to achieve some consistency and also some aesthetic balance?

I'm using Office 2003 and Windows XP Home edition.

Thanks in advance.

QuizMan 21:49 15 May 2008

In Outlook, go to Tools > Options and select Mail Format. If you then click on Fonts you can select your preferred choices there.

safe as milk 22:39 15 May 2008

ok Quizman, done that, thanks. Am I right to assume that it's the *sender's* choice of html or plain text that determines the format of my reply?

QuizMan 20:41 16 May 2008

Quite possibly. Even if you send it as HTML, they can choose (in Outlook at least) to receive it as plain text. That is in Tools > Options > Preferences > E-mail Options.

I am not sure what happens with other e-mail clients or web mail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?