Replacing a usb wireless adapter

VNAM75 20:26 23 Jun 2009

My cousin has a usb adapter attached to his pc which picks up a signal from a wireless router for internet access, but he has broken it. Its a dlink, not sure which model.

Can he buy another adapter and plug it back in? Would he need to resintall any software/connections and does it have to be another dlink make?

I can't seem to find the usb adapters sold separately, they seem to be bundled with the router. Anyone know where I can get one and whether it needs to be the same make?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:47 23 Jun 2009

Any wireless adaptor will do but may need new drivers (they should come with it)

If windows is managing his wireless net work they it may well just plug in and go

phono 21:06 23 Jun 2009

"Anyone know where I can get one and whether it needs to be the same make?"

Any make will do, I just bought one on ebay, it says MicraDigital on the box but says Belkin on the device label, it cost £7.95 and postage was free, it comes complete with driver/utility CD and it works a treat, see click here second item down.

And before anybody asks I have absolutely nothing to do with the seller apart from being a satisfied customer.

VNAM75 21:42 23 Jun 2009

Thanks both, very useful info!

VNAM75 22:07 23 Jun 2009

phono, it says it's usb 2.0, would it be compatible with usb 1? Plus, its says make an offer get it for less so I would get it for less, say £7?

phono 22:20 23 Jun 2009

"phono, it says it's usb 2.0, would it be compatible with usb 1?"

USB 2.0 is backwardly compatible so it will work but at USB 1 speeds, there wont be any difference, speed wise, from the broken Dlink device.

"Plus, its says make an offer get it for less so I would get it for less, say £7?"

I honestly don't know, make them an offer and see what transpires. As an aside I tried that approach on an entirely unrelated item but my offer was declined on each occasion.

VNAM75 22:24 23 Jun 2009

OK thanks

phono 22:25 23 Jun 2009

"As an aside I tried that approach on an entirely unrelated item but my offer was declined on each occasion."

Should have said that it was also an entirely different vendor so you never know your luck.

VNAM75 22:29 23 Jun 2009

I tried it once with a mountain bike, bid £3 under the £25 price and it was accepted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?