Replacing Toucan speedtouch modem ...

John B 17:44 12 Sep 2009

with a Belkin G Wireless Modem Router.

Using the Belkin installation Cd everything seems to go well and the icons in the task bar say there is a connection. However, clicking on the internet explorer icon brings up the speedtouch dialer window and that's the end of that; it won't connect.

Is it permissible to replace the basic (usb) speedtouch modem with the Belkin? If so, how do I tell Toucan to use the new router and to stop looking for the speedtouch?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

John

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 12 Sep 2009

Tools - internet options- connections - tick never dial a connection

you could even remove the speedtouch dialup connection.

John B 18:06 12 Sep 2009

I'll try that. Is the 'never dial a connection' option relevant to broadband modems?

With the present Toucan setup you have to connect to Toucan first before running internet explorer; is this just a thing peculiar to the speedtouch modem?

Thanks again.

Stuartli 18:10 12 Sep 2009

A USB modem is turned off when you shut the system down and therefore has to go through the connection to your ISP routine after system boot up, including entering the Username and Password details (these can be configured to be Remembered).

Stuartli 18:12 12 Sep 2009

Just Uninstall the Speedtouch modem (330?).

John B 18:14 12 Sep 2009

So the suggestion from Fruit Bat /\0/\ should do the trick then, and be the cause of the problem.

It's a friend's computer; I'll try the tip tomorrow and see if it works.

Thanks.

John B 18:15 12 Sep 2009

How do I uninstall the modem please Stuartli?

John B 12:49 13 Sep 2009

Uninstalled the speedtouch software using the original installation disk. All done and working.

Cheers

John

Stuartli 14:26 13 Sep 2009

You could have also used Device Manager...:-)

John B 17:51 13 Sep 2009

I did a little research about uninstalling the speedtouch software and many results related to problems unless the Toucan disk is used. CCleaner would also have been an alternative. Either way; job done!

Stuartli 19:02 13 Sep 2009

Strange. I have a spare Speedtouch 330 just in case of any problems with my modem router (have used it once or twice for a couple of hours) and the software stays installed.

That's also the case with the Sagem [email protected] 800 software still residing on my system, even though my Tiscali broadband was dumped nearly four years ago.

Neither has brought any problems to the surface, although I really must Uninstall the Sagem version...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?