Replacing NVIDIA graphics card soon

Ian in Northampton 19:10 22 Dec 2013
Answered

Some of you may remember I was looking for advice recently on a decent graphics card upgrade for my son's gaming PC. I took the Forum's recommendation and got a Gigabyte GTX660, which he'll be getting on Christmas Day - which means I'll be installing it Boxing Day. The current card is a GTX560SE. If anyone has any useful hints/tips or even a tutorial (I'm a bit nervous around hardware...) on how to ensure the upgrade goes smoothly, I'll be grateful. (Note that one of the reasons I chose the GTX660 is that, from my research, it seems it would a) be about the same size as the GTX560SE, so will fit in the case, b) uses the same cabling and c) won't need a bigger power supply). He's running an AMD processor/Windows 7 Ultimate.

Ian in Northampton 11:11 23 Dec 2013

Unashamed bump...

Ian in Northampton 11:16 23 Dec 2013

Unashamed bump...

bumpkin 13:52 23 Dec 2013

I don't know whether you have seen this click here or whether it is even relevant but it may be of some interest to you.

martd7 14:32 23 Dec 2013

Hoping you don't have any of the problems like that thread "bumpkin" is referring to it should be relatively easy to install

Woolwell 14:49 23 Dec 2013

Take a photo of the old card installation, cable connectors etc and then you can see what to do if you have to go back.

rdave13 15:12 23 Dec 2013

It should be a case of simply swapping over. I usually slacken the Pci case slot screw first, the one that holds the card to the case, then unclip the clip on the motherboard. Removing the screw fully afterwards. This is after disconnecting the power to the card of course. Replacing I secure it to the mobo's slot with the clip first and then screw in the case slot screw. I find having a magnetised screwdriver is a godsend as it's easy to drop those little screws.

Graphicool1 15:25 23 Dec 2013
Answer

Hi Ian in Northampton

The thread they are referring to is mine and no disrespect to you 'mart7' but everything is easy on paper or at least should be. But as you know my problems weren't and aren't anything to do with the installation. It's the unknown factors, the ones that you can't keep an eye open for that you might have to worry about.

So with that in mind the best I can offer you is to say I'll keep my toes crossed for you. Because I need my fingers trying to sort out my own mess.

There are a couple of bits of advice I can tell you though. Wear an anti-static wrist strap, as well as earthing yourself by grabbing hold of the PC chassie, before you start. Make sure you turn the electric off at the mains and unplug the mains lead from the PC. If you can, it's a good idea to lay the PC on it's side. It makes the whole scenario a tad more easy.

Here is a YouTube link to a selection of videos showing you how to install a GTX 660 GPU...CLICK HERE I hope you find this of some help.

Ian in Northampton 19:07 23 Dec 2013

Many thanks to all of you for your input - especially the link to the YouTube video, graphicool1, which looks as if it could prove invaluable. It's very much appreciated. I'll be sure to refer to this thread on Boxing Day... :-)

rdave13 19:39 23 Dec 2013

Ian in Northampton I'll go with Graphicool1 and lay the case on its side. Much easier to insert the card in the pci-e slot. As for the anti-static wrist band I admit I've never used one. Wooden table-top, shoes on feet if on a carpet, always touch the metal casing before work seems to work for me. Some say to hold the taps on the sink to discharge any static you may carry.

Ian in Northampton 19:53 23 Dec 2013

rdave13: thanks. If I followed through on your last suggestion, my wife might think I was going to do the washing up. I'd hate to raise her hopes... ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?