Replacing Norton with AVG

gnvqsos 07:37 02 Dec 2007

I have uninstalled Norton and replaced with free AVG anti-virus.Will the program scan automatically or should I do so manually.If I have to do it manually can someone suggest how this is done.Perhaps I need to configure the Pc?
Thanks in anticipation

gnvqsos 07:59 02 Dec 2007

Now sorted

birdface 10:05 02 Dec 2007

Did you run the Norton removal tool.If not Norton will stay on your computer and eventually cause problems.I prefer running AVG manually.Run it when you want to run it.

johnnyrocker 10:11 02 Dec 2007

sorted how?

johnny

Meshuga 12:08 02 Dec 2007

And if sorted kindly tick the "resolved" box.

gnvqsos 16:35 03 Dec 2007

I removed Norton using the option provided by control panel.I run Windows XP and used the add/remove programs option as directed by Nortons help box.Have I done enough to eliminate totally.this is directed at Buteman

gnvqsos 16:47 03 Dec 2007

Just to clarify I have sorted AVG and I believe I have removed Norton from my PC.It is no longer listed under programs and I removes it using advice from Norton .I went to Remove programs via the control panel and uninstalled it.Buteman will confirm whether I have done the right thing

Andsome 16:53 03 Dec 2007

If you look in Windows Explorer you will almost certainly find Symantec or Norton folders listed under Peogram files. Norton is notoriously difficult to remove without registry editing, even after using their removal tools. The only guarenteed complete removal is a reinstall, although I understand that this may sound drastic. NEVER again will anything produced by Symantec be allowed within a mile of my computer.

p;3 17:01 03 Dec 2007

have you yet met with and used the tool for the job?click here

you are advised to run it to remove the glue from norton's 'hold' on your computer

gnvqsos 21:10 03 Dec 2007

I have removed it using the tool you describe.Thanks to all for their advice-I must say my PC is much quicker now and AVG picked up a Trojan today

johnem 21:15 03 Dec 2007

Thanks p;3, I will need to use that link soon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?