Replacing motherboard on Dell Inspiron 531

orsta 14:05 18 Sep 2013

Having sorted out my graphics card, I now would like to bring my motherboard and chip up to date.

Can anyone suggest which board I need to consider, not worried if it's Intel or AMD based, but I would like something with USB 3, Gigabit Ethernet and a quad core chip.

c

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:23 18 Sep 2013

I suggest looking somewhere like Novatech at motherboard bundles

your usage? and budget? of course will affect your choice

orsta 17:18 18 Sep 2013

Thanks Fruit Bat,

Had a look, even though a standard ATX board will be to big I think, this mATX looks good click here give them a ring in the morning.

c

I'll

Knuutr 18:59 18 Sep 2013

click here 8970M is rank #15 and GTX 770M is rank #29 stating the AMD is much stronger.

HD

Knuutr 19:08 18 Sep 2013

Please ignore my previous post, I was reading 2 questions and posted my answer to the wrong one and cannot quickly find the way to delete this wrong answer

orsta 13:43 24 Sep 2013

We have now replaced the motherboard, earlier than expected. My only point on contention is that I did not check the available USB points on the new motherboard.

I'm one short.

I could get over this by buying a PCI USB card like this click here, can I get an extension cable with male/female fittings to make up the difference in length between my spare internal USB cable and the above card.

Does this make sense?

c

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros